Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas - My 450th Post!!!! How Special!! I couldn't have planned it better.:)


I heard the Bells on Christmas Day


I heard the bells on Christmas Day,
their old familiar carols play;

and wild and sweet the words repeat,
of Peace on Earth, Good Will to men.

I thought, as now this day had come,
the belfries of all Christendom

had rung so long the unbroken song
of Peace on Earth, Good Will to Men

And in despair, I bowed my head,
"There is no peace on Earth," I said,

"For hate is strong and mocks the song
of Peace on Earth, Good Will to men."

Then pealed the bells more load and deep,
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep,

the wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
Peace on Earth, Good Will to men."

Words by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

After his son was severely wounded in the Civil War, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote this poem. It was later joined with an 1872 melody composed by Englishman John Baptiste Calkin.
from http://www.bhg.com/


My version is Adapted & Music by John Marks. I played it on my clarinet today. Still sounding good, after all these years.;)

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Amazing how these songs come about. Congrats on your 450th post! wow how awesome is that! Hope your day is going great.