Monday, March 2, 2009

Simple definition of Bipolar I Disorder.

Bipolar I Disorder is an illness with symptoms thought to be caused by an imbalance of brain chemicals.

People who have Bipolar I Disorder tend to experience extreme mood swings, along with other specific symptoms and behaviors.

These mood swings, or "episodes," can take three forms: manic, depressive, or mixed episodes.

Common symptoms of a manic episode are: feeling extremely happy, being very irritable and anxious, talking too fast and too much, and having more energy and needing less sleep than usual.

Common symptoms of a depressive episode include: feelings of overwhelming sadness or emptiness, low energy, a loss of interest in things, trouble concentrating, changes in sleep or appetite, and thoughts of dying or suicide.

A mixed episode includes symptoms that are both manic and depressive.
Source-- this from an information sheet about Abilify, in my 'People' magazine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say that about sums it up! To bad it isn't as easy to treat as it is to describe.

'Tart said...

Isn't that the truth, preciousrock! I liked the clarity and simpleness of this description. It helps to know what we are dealing with, it helps to know words that describe what happens to so many of us, as I think that creates a bond between people suffering from bipolar as well as help to educate the public. It also helps me to have it spelled out in front of me.

Thanks for your comments.
Tart

Wanda's Wings said...

They forgot to mention that you tend to spend too much money when you are manic and blow all caution to the wind. I had to freeze my credit cards so I would use them when I'm manic. I also tend to drive other people crazy by talking too much. It is good to know that I am not the only one. My psychiatrist is still working on the right combination of medicine to help.