Monday, February 23, 2009

Proud to be an American woman.

I'm glad that I live in a country that values freedom, and in a culture that encourages me as a woman to learn and be educated. And lets me budget my own money. Whether I am married or not.

I found this today in the New York Times concerning the large amount of Iraqi women who are now widows and how the government wants to deal with the problem.

"If we give the money to the widows, they will spend it unwisely because they are uneducated and they don’t know about budgeting. But if we find her a husband, there will be a person in charge of her and her children for the rest of their lives."MAZIN al-SHIHAN, director of a city agency in Baghdad, on his plan to pay men to marry Iraqi war widows.

That makes me sick. Be proud ladies that you are in charge of your own money and that your government lets you be responsible for your own life. Who knew it was a luxury?

6 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Tart,unfortunaly there are countries that believe that whomen have no rights what so ever. Take Afghanistan for example the Taliban believed that women are not allowed to be educated.and that only a womans eyes maybe seen by every one except their husbands.

'Tart said...

Understood. I'm glad I don't live there.

Wanda's Wings said...

I would not want to live any where else!!!!

Denise said...

Seems that things are out of control. I am proud that I live here in the United States...... Not sure where the world is headed....

Tracy said...

It is very sad that women in many places of the world still do not have rights. Hugs , good post.

JC said...

I'm Canadian, and I can still wholeheartedly agree with your post. We ARE so lucky to have the freedom that we do. We do take it for granted, I think. I didn't know that about the Iraqis. I know there are cultural differences everywhere in the world and people live differently everywhere as their own norm and way of life. BUT I think that we have been given a gift to live life to the fullest with the freedom of culture, education, and choice that we have. Thank you for this post. It was a good reminder :)