Monday, September 22, 2008

Learning to be Happier. (discussion by 'Tart of "The How of Happiness" by Sonja Lyubomirsky)

I have been very busy over the weekend. One of the neat things I did was after a nice lunch at a restaurant chain that serves lots of out of town visitors, they were having a 75% off sale on lots of items.

Including audio books, some in CD form! What a boon! I got "Charlotte's Web" written by and read by E.B. White, "Cesar's Way" by Cesar Milan the 'Dog Whisperer,' and something called ""The How of Happiness," a Scientific Approach to Getting the Life you Want," by Sonja Lyubomirsky.

I started listening to "The How of Happiness" which is so good I started transcribing her words into my Microsoft Word, so that I could look at it and have to look at again, which is what the actual book would do for me easily, I realize, and I just might buy it.

I have been taking quite seriously what it has to say, and I notice that I have not had a serious low or even medium low since I started to listen to it, which is great for a bipolar!

There is a lot of good stuff in there. Right now, I'm learning about the 'Attitude of Gratitude.' The simple concept that we have heard over and over again of 'count your blessings.'

It really is a truth that you can't feel too sad when you really stop to count just a few of your blessings and take some time to ponder them.

I was going to reprint here what I heard, and what I typed for myself, as the eight reasons why it's so great to count your blessings, but the back specifically says 'This recording may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without permission from Penguin Audio' so in difference to the author and her publisher, I won't do it.

BUT, I can discuss in my own words what I Thought about it. And I must say that it is already making a positivie impact on my life, if not to simply be reminded of 'the attitude of gratitude' and the other 12 common things that happy people DO to be happy.

For that is one of the (audio) book's exhortations as well, that being happy is a do-er sport, one in which we can enhance our happiness by "intentional activity."

Like remembering our blessings, practicing methods to stop negative thoughts, doing kindesses for others just 'cause, "nurturing relationships," avoiding "overthinking and social comparison," etc.

And she expresses that no one is usually good at all the techniques and that we don't have to be, and she has a great test for determining which would be good techniques to focus on.

Yes, I took the test, and I'm glad I did. I'm glad I am taking the time to learn to be happier.

There's probably going to more discussion of this in the future.:)

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I read this earlier this morning, and tried to comment but blogger would not let me! Hopefully blogger will now allow me to comment..... This book sounds awesome! I will have to see if i can find it myself. Sounds like you found a winner! Hugssssss glad that you are enjoying this book.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your kind words about my book! I am very gratified that the advice is helpful.

All my best,

--Sonja Lyubomirsky
www.thehowofhappiness.com