Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Going Retro: The New York Times has been good to me today.

The New York Times in email, that anyone can sign up for, often prints a 'This Day in History' blurb on the bottom.

I love yesterday's (I couldn't get it here in time to be yesterday's post). It's from the McCarthy era, where the jerk blacklisted tons of people in a 'witch hunt' over Communism. In a classy way, he was put in his place, as only a 1950's proper person could do:

"On June 9, 1954, Army counsel Joseph N. Welch confronted Sen.
Joseph R. McCarthy during the Senate-Army Hearings over McCarthy's attack on a
member of Welch's law firm, Frederick G. Fisher. Said Welch: ``Have you no sense
of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?''"
Only in the 50's could being reminded of your lack of decency put you in your place.

Then today, I read about 'true divas,' the beautiful and mysterious, gorgeous Sophia Loren and Catherine Deneuve, who are having box sets of little known movies of theirs coming out soon. See here to go to the page in the NYT's talking all bits juicy about the two. I love the older, retro Hollywood, and the actresses that put it on the map.

2 comments:

JC said...

Cool info :)
It was a good distraction for me this morning. love, jena

Tracy said...

Thank you for sharing! I always have loved Sophia Loren and Cahterine Deneuve. I miss the elegance and grace of some of the elder actresses.